Sudden CPU frequency scaling error.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Jun 3 16:23:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:32:31AM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
 > On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:59:36AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
 > > On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 08:35:42AM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
 > >  > Suddenlly when I login to my FC4test3 machine as root a window with
 > >  > the folloing error message appears:
 > >  >
 > >  > CPU frequency scaling unsupported
 > >  > You will not be able to modify the frequency of your machine.  Your
 > >  > machine may be misconfigured or not have hardware support for CPU
 > >  > frequency scaling.
 > >  > --
 > >  > What have been done to cause this error to show up suddenly and what
 > >  > can be done about it?
 > >
 > > There were some driver updates recently, what does /proc/cpuinfo
 > > say for your machine ?

 > I don't see what that has to do with it

Ah wait, I misparsed your original mail as "it used to work,
but now it doesn't", but your problem is actually
"something is trying to do CPU scaling, but my hardware can't do it".

The warning is likely coming from the gnome cpu frequency scaling applet.
I've no idea why its starting up automatically though if you didn't
add it.

		Dave