FAILED: FC4T3 on Matrox G550 + Dell 2001FP

kas kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jun 4 01:54:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 03:27 +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> Monitor is a Dell 2001FP 20" TFT able to do 1600x1200 in 60 Hz native
>
> Using DVI cable, installation was fine until first boot and switching
> to X11. No real display, OSD saying resolution 4078x6 @ 75Hz :->
> Switching to text console via Alt-Ctrl-F1 didn't help, all just colorful
> garbage.

I have 2 2001FPs running DVI-connected 1600x1200 here...one on a nvidia
fx5200 and one on an off-brand ATI 9250.  Relevant portion of xorg.conf
from this machine:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Dell 2001FP (Digital)"
	HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
	VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
	Gamma        1.05 1 1.1
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
#	Driver      "nv"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	VendorName  "NVidia"
	BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 5200FX (generic)"
	Option	    "ConnectedMonitor" "DVI"
EndSection

As you can see from above, I can run either the nv or nvidia driver with
no problem.  With the ATI card, I get colorful speckles across the top
third of the screen and a dead X server unless xorg.conf looks like
this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon 9200PRO"
        Option      "EnablePageFlip" "true"
        Option      "AGPSize" "64M"
        Option      "AGPMode" "2"
EndSection

Otherwise, my xorg.conf settings are as installed by Anaconda.  My
Matrox card is too ancient to have a DVI connector so I can't help
there...but at least this demonstrates that your 2001FP can do 1600x1200
DVI with the right mojo on other video cards.  Both FC3 and FC4T3 are
running on both 2001FP DVI-connected boxes.

HTH,
Karen