yum update errors

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 04:13:13 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Tim Taranov <ttaranov at gmail.com> wrote:
> just trying to update my fc4 test3 and getting these errors. Any suggestions?

the development tree is now re-opened to begin staging for fc5. The
fc4 testing period is over. This has several implications... one of
them is that daily inconsistencies inside the development tree are
going to increase as new packages are moved into the tree.  Some of
what you are seeing is simply dependancy inconsistency. For example..
the ghostscript package update provides libgs.so.8   the version of
ghostscript you have installed provides
libgs.so.7 and packages you have install like ImageMagick specifically
require libgs.so.7.
All the packages that depend on the new library version have not been
rebuilt yet for the development tree.  I'm sure many of the other
errors in the list are similar problems. You have to remember the
whole tree isn't rebuilt every night... tree self-consitency isn't
garunteed.. this is especially true now right after a release branch
and new packages start showing up.

You might want to use repoclosure from the yum-utils addon tools to
see what the daily dependancy inconsitencies are for yourself.
http://blog.sethdot.org/index.cgi/233

-jef"I like to think of it as the development tree has seaons related
to where we are in the release cycle. Just before a release is harvest
season.. late fall...Octoberfest.. free beer and smoke rawhide
sausages for all who would partake. But quickly after a release is
branched the development tree enters into a desolate nuclear winter
where the 'modest' dinner menu is prepared by my friend Jonathon
Swift."spaleta