Updating via yum/up2date

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 21:32:49 UTC 2005

On 6/10/05, Jon 780 <jon780 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having a hell of a time updating my fc4test3 installation.
>
> Yum, after downloading 700 or so MB worth of packages, tells me it
> couldn't find any mirrors for about 10 packages, and exits.  So I try
> again, and it attempts to download every package again.  Why doesn't
> it just check to see what was already downloaded and skip what's
> already there?  That seems patently ridiculious to me.

yum works as expected for me. If the package is in my local
cache...yum doesn't download it again. However... with the development
tree.. with daily packge updates.. you can easily end up touching an
out of sync mirror on the list and end up pulling a different version
of the same packagename.  You'd have to convince me with proof that
yum is re-downloading the exact same version of a package.. im just
not seeing it here.

> So what am I doing wrong, why is something that should be so
> incredibly simple, such an incredible pain in my ass?

You arent doing anything wrong necessarily. The fc4 testing phase is
over. The development tree has begun its transition as a staging area
for fc5. In this part of the development cycle is when large shifts in
technology are done. For example the dropping of the old sytled
header.info version of package metadata that up2date and even older
versions of yum relied on from the development tree. The configs for
up2date have to catch up to that change in how metadata is provided.

I can't stress this enough.. the fc4 testing phase is over. You are of
course free to continue  using the development branch and
participating in the development process, but understand that the
development tree goes through phases and we are now in its most
unstable phase. The development tree eats babies and its very hungry
right about now.  If you desire a more pleasant updating experience,
do a fresh install of fc4 as soon as its publicly avaliable.

-jef"cranberry-lime juice and vodka..here i come"spaleta