Sound & NM2200 Video on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 (FC4T3)

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 12 16:59:38 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I just put FC4T3 on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000 and everything seems to
work sort of fine except for the graphics and the sound. Under FC3 I
would issue these rules in /etc/modprobe.conf to get it going:

### Sound modules for YamahaOPL ###
alias char-major-14 opl3sa2
pre-install opl3sa2 modprobe "-k" ad1848
post-install opl3sa2 modprobe "-k" opl3
options opl3sa2 dma=1 dma2=0 io=0x538 irq=5 mpu_io=0x330 mss_io=0x530
options opl3 io=0x388

Under FC4T3 the onboard sound is no longer recognized. Anyone have a
suggestion how I would adjust the rules above for FC4T3?

About the autoselected driver for the Neomagic NM2200 video chipset:
afaict it is not accelerated (no DRI?) as it draws moving windows very
slow. Also the fonts look badly anti-aliased have rather jagged edges at
24bit 1024x768 (highest resolution I could get). Have I done something
wrong or does the xorg Neomagic NM2200 driver not support accelerated 2D
rendering and smooth anti-aliased fonts?

TIA,
Patrick