Some bugs that still need work.

Kyle Pointer kapointer at charter.net
Mon Jun 13 04:51:11 UTC 2005

Whine I shall not, however some things should be brought to the attention
of the Fedora Core user community.

1. GPilot still doesn't work.
( still crashes when trying to do initial sync and can't get any further )
2. There's problems with the RPM gui frontend.
( if I try to use it it complains about /media/cdrom being an invalid
  installation source. Or if I try to use the autorun programs on CD's
  like the RHEL Extras CD to add the CD to the RPM sources )
3. There seems to be a problem with up2date whining about sources...
( The applet has been unable to access the following information sources
  in its last attempts:
  development @ http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/
  This causes ill effects on rhn-applet-gui ( and tui ) and up2date-gnome.
  Latest booboo is:
        There was a fatal error communicating with the server.  The message was:

	An HTTP error occurred:
	Status Code: 404
	Error Message: Not Found
)
4. At least on June 12, 2005 it is impossible to install xfce4 with YUM or up2date.
( Not all the packages are there. )
5. SELinux rules are still broken, and Firewall still has trouble with active FTP.
( Last time I had SELinux enabled I couldn't even boot correctly. That could be passive ftp.. I'm
  not sure... its the one that doesn't have a predetermined port to connect to. )
6. XMMS isn't in development or extras tree.
( Had to use Freshrpms repo... Probably isn't that big of a deal, but I know I'd miss it.
  And Extras repo HAS some xmms plugins so it probably should have xmms too... )

Those are my only gripes with the FC4 release. Other than these things, I have noticed nothing but
improvement in this latest version, with the upgrade to new versions of some really big programs.
I would like to ask the Fedora Core community to keep up the great work. :)

-- Kyle Pointer <kapointer at charter.net>

P.S. Some of the RPM problems could be caused because I used the FTP install method instead of CDROM,
but I think that if that causes problems there must be some bugs with the FTP install code in anaconda.