screen bug in FC4

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 15 18:33:50 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 10:43, Cimmo wrote:
> 1) Someone else seen this bug? Seem to appear only with KDE, at
> random time. Attachment is very poor because I have to stay under 40
> KB, just see all the dark part, like window's draw is broken.

Yes, I see this regularly using KDE under FC4 (fully updated).  I
assumed hardware since it looks like memory corruption, but an 18-hour
memtest86 shows no problems.  I figured it might be my video card (even
though it works for playing Win2k games), but since you see it too, I
guess not.

Sometimes I'm able to fix it with switching to a text vt & back, but
sometimes nothing works and I have to hit the reset button.  (I don't
have another machine at home from which to try to ssh in.)

> my conf:
> FC4-x86_64 final
> Athlon64 3000+
> 1 GB of ram
> GeForce6600 GT
> nv module (no nvidia module installed yet)

mine:
FC4 x86_64 final
  (upgraded, admittedly, from FC4t3, where I also saw this problem)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Nforce3)
Athlon64 3000+, Venice core
GeForce 6800 (by Gigabyte)
1.5 GB of ram (also happened when I had 1GB)
nv module

I am only just now updating the xorg update packages that were released
(today?) -- let's see if the problem doesn't reappear.

David