FC4: out of memory errors?

Edwin Olson eolson at mit.edu
Thu Jun 16 00:09:53 UTC 2005

On a fresh install of FC4, on a machine which had been running FC4T3
without issues, I'm encountering odd "out of memory" errors.

One moment, running a command (launching one of my own java
applications, or playing a movie in mplayer) will work; the next moment,
I get an out of memory error, or a X-related insufficient resources. My
apologies, I don't recall the exact error message.

I will attempt to characterize the problem tomorrow, but I thought I'd
share my experiences in case anyone else is having these sorts of issues.

I am using the nvidia drivers, which might be a factor. My java app uses
OpenGL, and mplayer does some videocard acceleration, doesn't it?

-Ed