grub can't find config file

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Jun 18 11:34:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 19:19 -0700, Scott Talbot wrote:
> Edwin Olson wrote:
>
> > These are the contents of my grub.conf, as written during install...
> > they already point to (hd1,0). Any other ideas? :)
>     It looks like there is some confusion here. I believe the location
> of the grub.conf is coded into the boot sector.  Perhaps there is
> something wrong with the script that installs grub?
>
>     In any event, it shouldn't hurt anything to re-install Grub running
> grub-install /dev/hda in a terminal (as root of course), you might even
> want to do a linux rescue from an old boot CD, just to eliminate the
> install grub script duplicating the problem.

Another way to avoid potential grub-install problems is to do it
manually in grub at the prompt.

grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)

Check the output for any error messages.

Phil

P.S.  This should be on "fedora-list" for FC4 release problems.  Not a
test problem.