FC5 Wishlist

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Jun 20 18:26:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 02:13:20PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/20/05, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/akh8t
> >
> > Please post real direct URLs.
>
> Ask and you shall receive

And if you wouldn't have broken it for the last part, I could have just
clicked on it in gnome-terminal to open the URL.

And now the URL is usable when read in archives and tinyurl gone out of
business. :-)

> > Do you think Wikis where arbitrary dudes can edit around how they feel
> > as long as they do have an account are anywhere better? There's no
> > priorization too. But Bugzilla filings have the advantage that you have
> > all discussion on one idea in ONE place and people can easily track the
> > RFEs they are interested in (and take part in discussion or testing).
>
> I'm not arguing that bugzilla entries aren't a good idea. You should
> file your enhancements against the bugzilla component that makes sense
> to let the current developers and maintainers know about it. But the
> bugzilla interface is not necessarily the best way to communicate
> plans and feature requests to potential contributors who might be
> willing to dig in and work on an item.

Then work on a script which generates a web page out of not-closed
bugzilla RFEs in pretty-print, with links to the bug filings. Then you
have your pretty overview for people who can't query bugzilla for RFEs.

> I find this resistence to exploring alternative avenues of
> communication... amusing...

I find hyping Wikis for everything that remotely resembles "information"
annoying.

Use the right tool for the job.

It's hard to track things in a Wiki, but it's not a real problem to
generate easier presentation forms for request/bug-tracking systems.

> considering the fact that this mailinglist is a hallmark of
> duplication.

Well, I don't fully understand the seperation of fedora-devel and -test
either. But having bad examples doesn't excuse making the mess even
bigger. See also the "web forum" thing regarding end user question
support. There was AND IS fedora-list, (now) _and_ "web forums". Can we
please decide to EITHER use mailing list OR clickety-click-all-colorful?

Anyway, I'll rest my case. Looks like I'm the only one preferring
request/bug trackers and mailing lists over the stylish new things like
"web forums" and Wikis. Perhaps because for me not everything looks like
a nail yet.

Regards,
Daniel