Media Check FAILED....

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 14:25:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 08:19 -0500, Kevin B. Walker wrote:
> After typing "linux ide=nodma" at the installer boot prompt all four
> CD's passed the media check. Without the ide=nodma argument they all
> failed. I had verified the sha1sum on the downloaded isos. I had also
> successfully diffed the images with the created cd's after mounting the
> images with the -o loop option. I had similar problems with FC4t2.
>
> Here's my question: Should I use the ide=nodma option each time I load
> FC4 or is the problem only with media check?

The fact that it worked means that the combination of that IDE
controller, CD drive, and kernel (and possibly, but unlikely,
specifically that media) results in bad reads while using dma.  So if
you're using that controller and drive for FC4, then yes, always use
ide=nodma while installing.

This is a hardware problem, a kernel problem, or both.
--
        Peter