mkfs.ext3 on 500GB drive

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat Jun 25 23:38:31 UTC 2005

On Saturday 25 June 2005 19:27, Justin Conover wrote:
> I have a LaCie 500GB/firewire drive, and I've been at this thing all
> day.
> $ dmesg | tail
> sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
>     Additional sense: No additional sense information
> sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
>     Additional sense: No additional sense information
> sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
>     Additional sense: No additional sense information
> sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
>     Additional sense: No additional sense information
> sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
>     Additional sense: No additional sense information
>
> I assume this is going to suck and explode too.
Hmmm - that doesn't look good. its either a firewire transport issue or an
issue with the drive itsself in my opinion. What kind of firewire controller
do you have? lspci and boot messages would help a lot too.

> Anyone have any tips what-so-ever for formating a LARGE slice?  This
> was supposed to backup my raid5 server but so far, I can't even use it
> and it took me long enough to get Fedora to see it.  Or I can give up,
> hand it to my wife, format it with ntfs and let her use it directly to
> backup her photo work. (really really don't want to do that)
We're doing it on a regular basis - 400GB to 1TB is the normal size for where
I work. No issues.

Peter.