Fedora Core 4 Firewall and Wireless Configuration

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 27 03:44:39 UTC 2005

I have an HP/Compaq nx9010 laptop with an Broadcom 94306 (rev 02, PCI id
14E4:4320) wireless chipset. I installed Fedora Core 4 with the firewall
enabled and SELinux enabled on this and then ndiswrapper 1.2. I used the
latest Dell Truemobile 1300 Windows driver. Running 'modprobe
ndiswrapper' yeilds an interface 'wlan0' I can play with. After loading
the wep key, setting the mode, and setting the essid, I can scan the
access point but not get an ip address using dhclient with it. It looked
like a firewall problem. I've opened up ports 67 and 68 on the firewall
(using system-config-securitylevel and opening both tcp and udp
protocols.) Still can't get an IP address. My dhcp server is offering an
IP address in response to the DHCPREQUESTs going out on port 67, it
looks like the firewall must be blocking the replies. I'm only set up to
offer ipv4 addresses, but even so I'm wondering if I need to open up
ports 546 and 547 -- for ipv6? Or could this be an SELinux issue
affecting ndiswrapper? I don't see any avc denied messages, but perhaps
they are being logged differently in FC4?

Thanks

Bob Cochran