Question about speed

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jun 27 16:11:22 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller writes:
> > > How are you measuring fast? For some workloads, that's completely to be
> > > expected.
> > Latency of keystrokes. I press the key and the feedback is oo so slow.
> > In my case it's TTS feedback, not on screen, but same principle. Both
> > machines have the exact same TTS board (ISA) and software drivers, both
> > running FC4, but this was also true FC 3.
>
> Hmmm. That should be next to instant on either system. I wonder if something
> is simply configured badly and introducing a delay.
>
> I'm going to make the assumption that you're not running a heavyweight GUI
> environment such as GNOME or KDE. In that case, the greater RAM is probably
> not usually a factor at all. And the Celeron 700 is a very low-end chip with
> pretty low overall performance.
>
> > The 348Mb box is snappy. I press [char], I hear [char] echoed out the
> > TTS. On the slow machine, I would warrant there's a delay of hundreds of
> > ms. Not measured, but I'd warrant on the order of 400-700 ms.
>
> On the other hand, either machine ought to be able to do better than that.
> --
Yes, I think so.

The 348 box is runlevel 3 by default and is very snappy.

The 700 Mhz Celeron slowpoke is runlevel 5 by default, but I'm talking
console in the above, and it's the same slowness regardless.

On the other hand, the slow poke responds very snappy over console ssh.
It's only on its own consoles that it's bad. I can't test at the moment
because it is setup as my pristine FC4 box as we try to put the Speakup
Modified for FC4 together. So no speech there right now. I will try re
display response when someone sighted shows up here.