Last two kernels - address but no access to web

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 03:26:58 UTC 2005

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 21:27 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>After installing the last two kenels from rawhide. I could not access
>>the internet.
>>kernel-2.6.11-1.1166_FC4 and 1162 would aquire an address from my
>>router, but would fail for pop and http.
>>I was getting the 192.168.x.x address without problems.
>>
>>Would this be related to a program external to the kernel, protocol or
>>what? I tried dhclient and it did not seem to help with resolving the
>>connection problem.
>

> Dave Jones (who does the kernel stuff) said that it's related to this
> bug:
>
> bugzilla 150150
>

> Rodd

Thanks Rodd,

The part referring to cutting functions out, sounds like what I was
getting. The functionality was lost. The compiler was different than the
one used for the 1155, which worked. (Bug report 150272 submitted.)

I guess they should run the gcc4 compiler on the repo to reduce the
distro size down.

Jim

- cut from bug report.

jakub, I'm wondering if this is gcc4 optimising away these functions
because it thinks they are unused.