Wireless in FC4

Gregory G Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Wed Mar 9 15:37:03 UTC 2005

Just to chime in here, I think firmware should be kept out of the
kernel, unless it is GPL'ed.

That is I shuld be able to use a freely available cross compiler such as
the gcc tool chain and generate the binary for the hardware.

If manufactures feel it will sell more hardware by keeping it closed and
proprietary, let them think that and cater to the Windows admins of the
world.

(Who, for the most part probably do not even know what firmware is, what
it does or why it is important either way.)

The primary reason I use Linux totally now, and will be converting
hundreds of Windows machines to Linux thin clients next year is because:

1) As a Windows developer and administrator for 10 years I am sick and
tired of not being able to correct problems in Microsoft's or vendors
products because of IP rules.

They can take thier closed IP secrets and shove them up where the sun
don't shine.

2) The fallout from #1 of course is getting paged at 3AM in the morning
like clock work, just to remote reboot windows machines knowing there is
no way in hell I can fix the problem, to stop the pages from comming.

So, in my view, keeping vendors that are closed out of the kernel
insures there are means for me to correct problems with Linux, and that
I can plan my infrastructure with the honest goal of increasing
reliability and uptime....far beyond what a Windows Admin could do by
hitting the reset button every 2 weeks and calling that "fixed".

The reasons for keeping closed systems out of the distros increases its
reputation for realibility and quality over time.

A goal that is a very achievable reality with a totally open system, vs
a dream for a distro that has closed firmware components in it.

Don't turn my reality into a dream please.  Keep closed firmware, the
vendors that support that sort of thing as a business mantra out of Linux.

-gc