Re: Unable to logon

Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
Hello,

I have just installed the Fedora Core 4 Test 1 version and I am not able to log on. After everything seems to install, I am brought to the logon screen but after I try to log on, I only see the blue screen without anything loading up. During installation and just before logging on, you are generally given the option to set the screen resolution, provide a username, etc. I didn't even get the opportunity to do this. The one time the computer did load up, it took about four minutes to load to the desktop and I had to create a regular user account through the root account. I did a clean install on two different computers (a Dell Dimension xps t600r and a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop) and I have the same problem. How do I correct this? Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

You may be victim of several bugs. If you log into the gui without first logging into a text terminal (CTRL-ALT-F1 for example) as root and running
yum update gdm
you will not get a useable screen. You must also manually add a normal user as root - the firstboot program is hosed.

Updating everything (not easy in itself - see other posts) finally makes firstboot run on the next reboot.

Hope this helps.

Gerry