gaim & something else

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu May 5 20:55:47 UTC 2005

Mary Ellen Foster wrote:

>On 5/5/05, Matthew Lenz <matthew at nocturnal.org> wrote:
>

>>you shouldn't be having that problem with fc4t2 as i was under the
>>impression it used dmix (alsa software mixing) by default.
>>

>I do find that pure OSS apps still don't go through dmix -- e.g., if
>I'm using skype, I can't do anything else sound-related, and if aRts
>is running skype won't connect. Is there anything that you can put
>into .asoundrc to make OSS emulation go through dmix?
>
>MEF

Adding the following section got some OSS apps to work correctly for
me.  It seems that applications that only support OSS are the most
troublesome.  I don't know about skype (never used it), but artsd can be
configured to use ALSA.  The following example assumes that you have
already configured a plugin for dmix/asym that is named 'asym'.  If you
would like my full configuration, let me know.

pcm.dsp0 {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "asym"
}