No video for text virtual consoles on FC4t3 ppc

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Wed May 11 19:48:28 UTC 2005

Whenever I try Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch from graphical X11 console
to text console, then I get DPMS suspend mode on the CRT monitor.
Switching back to graphical via Ctrl-Alt-F7 works.  This is Fedora
Core 4 Test 3, PowerPC Mac mini, ATI Radeon 9200, CRT monitor with DDC.

Booting to single user mode gives the expected text console.  Commenting
out the "x:5:once:/etc/X11/prefdm" line in /etc/inittab has no effect:
a boot still winds up with X11 graphical login, and using Ctrl-Alt-F2
still gets DPMS suspend.

There are 6 /sbin/mingetty running, in state "Ss+".  /dev/tty[1-6] exist
with "crw-------" permission.  SELinux is targeted enforcing; there are
no complaints in /var/log/messages or /var/log/audit/audit.log.

Has anybody else seen this?  Which component is the right one
for a bugzilla report about this problem?