Bad Magic-Number FC4-T3 on AMD-64

Bob Ewart bob-ewart at earthlink.net
Sat May 14 19:15:14 UTC 2005

I've tried twice to install FC4T3 amd64 on my system.  It has 2 SATA
disks (not raid).

The first time I did an install everything to /dev/sdb2 and let it
set-up grub in the MBR.  When I rebooted, it hung telling me that I had
a bad magic-number on /dev/sdb2.

I restored the MBR and booted into SuSE 9.2.  fsck told me it couldn't
check /dev/sdb2 because the partition had some new features.  So I
reformatted the partition to ext3 and re-installed.  This time the
install didn't reformat the partition and didn't install grub.  I
updated the suse menu.lst and re-booted.  Same error.  This time fsck
said the partition was ok.

Bob

I always follow the voices in my head. They tend to be right, most of the
time.