Cyrus IMAPd removed from FC4???

Don Casey dcasey at the-caseys.com
Mon May 16 17:09:32 UTC 2005

> On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 12:42 -0400, Don Casey wrote:
>>  If the comunity would like to have Cyrus-imapd as part of the distro
>> would it not be put back in. My main use of Fedora is as mail servers
>> and
>> I like the customization that is available with Cyrus. I would
>> understand
>> switching to Dovecot if only it were a completed project with 1.0 and
>> there dovecot-sasl.
>
> Just so I understand your perspective and the consequences of the
> decision to move it from core to extras may I ask you if its location in
> extras vs. core a burden or impediment to your use of cyrus-imapd? It's
> still there, it's still supported, it's just in a different repository.
> If you would like to present a rational for moving it back to core I
> will be an advocate for you, but the rational at the moment has to be
> more than "I dislike its location" for your argument to carry weight.
> Fair enough?
> --
> John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>
>
> --
Wow John,

 I did not think I would get flamed for asking such a general question. My
reason for asking is that when I am installing a new server I would
prefer to have the packages that I use on the install CD or DVD. I
understand that I can go out and get the packages and include this as
part of my extras install. I would just like to see that Cyrus be
maintained as a standard package. By the other responses that were sent
out it looks as though the extras will not get left behind, this I am
thankfull for. When Dovecot gets their sasl out and has a complete
package I will also experiment with it as well.
 Since we are still in the test phase of Core4 and Dovecot is in the beta
of 1.0, why is it not part of the install?

 Just to clarify, I do not mean to disrespect anyone by asking questions.
Just would like the info.

Thanx,
Don