Problems burning CDs in FC4t3

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu May 19 01:41:50 UTC 2005

I'm having troubles burning a CD using FC4t3 which is fully updates.

I don't burn a lot of CD's so I'm not sure when this might have started
occurring, but I used FC4t1 (fully updated) to burn the FC4t3 DVD iso
which (obviously) worked.  I've successfully burnt a CD-RW about four
days ago.

I'm using the Nautilus-cd-burner software to burn to disk and it keeps
burning disks that aren't complete (there should be about 333MB of disk
used, but only about 1 sixth to 1 third of the disk gets burnt (visually
looking at the area of disk that's used).  I have tried three different
brands of media including two CD-Rs and a CD-RW that I wrote to
successfully using the same burner about two weeks ago.

The folder I'm burning from works fine, and I've made a copy of the ISO
that nautilus-cd-burner produces and it works to (using mount -o
loop ... to test).

The burner is a _NEC DVD+/-RW ND-6500A and was included as part of a
Dell Inspiration 8600.

I've managed to burn three copies that now work, and (visually) looking
at the amount of disk space used on the disk surface, there's no way
enough of these disks was burnt.  I noticed on the final faulty burn
that fixation of the disk started about a third of the way through the
burn (given the position of the progress bar).

I've now managed to burn to a DVD+R, a CD-RW and a CD-R (the later two
being the same media used earlier).  The only obvious difference with
these three was that I watched the burns (instead of going off and doing
other things on the laptop) but this might be pure luck.

Regardless, something is up with burning.  Has anyone else noticed this
too.

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"