GCC 4.xx FC4 rc3 x86_64

Maurizio Paolini paolini at dmf.unicatt.it
Thu May 19 10:38:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 04:21:16AM -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 10:38:55AM +0300, James Black wrote:
> > I found out that many packages can't compile with gcc v4. Since Fedora 4
> > will be released soon it might be a good idea for compatibility reasons
> > to also include the gcc v3. It also would be nice if Fedora includes a
> > scrift to switch temporally from gcc v4 to gcc v3 something like
> > gcc_choose or something... I know for compatibility reasons you have
> > include the gcc32 but it's a 32 bit not a 64 bit compiler.
> > The issue affect multimedia software like Xvid, Mplayer etc.
> > I would apreciate your answer
>
> gcc32 is a compatibility GCC 3.2.x compiler, not some unspecified
> 32-bit compiler.  So on 64-bit arches, it is 64-bit/32-bit depending
> on -m{64,32,31} as the primary compiler.

One of those applications is "kde"!  I don't know if the problems are
originated from gcc4 issues of from kde issues.  Problem is that
the compatibility version "gcc32" could be good for most of kde, but
not for the whole of it; as an example I already pointed out the
case of "kig" which compiles with gcc32 only with python-scripting
disabled due to an incompatibility of gcc32 with the boost libraries,
while it compiles fine with gcc-3.4.2.

As a result FC4T3 has kig with python-scripting disabled, which is
a real pity, since in FC3 scripting in kig was perfectly functional!

I opened a bug with bugzilla related to this issue a few days ago,
but I did not get any feedback yet.

Cheers,
Maurizio Paolini