Firefox - why is it better?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue May 24 16:33:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:37:00AM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> Again I am not trying to start a rant I just want to know.

The only reason it matters for the purposes of this list is: the upstream
project has decided to make Firefox/Thunderbird the main focus and no longer
update the Mozilla suite.

But I also have to comment on this one:

> 2. I would like my downloaded files to go in my home directory. So as
> root I want them to go into /root. That may be unreasonable to some
> people but it can't be done in firefox. The Desktop folder is the last
> place I want to put them.

DON'T run either Firefox or Mozilla as root! You're playing russian roulette
with security problems here. Big, complicated GUI programs should stay in
userspace.

(That said, you can easily change the default file save location with the
option under "Downloads".)