Rolling Own Kernel

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:35:25 UTC 2005

On 5/24/05, Kevin H. Hobbs <kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu> wrote:
> http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

[ probably OT question about rpmbuild coming up ...]

On that page it says:
=========
6. Prepare Build
Use the rpmbuild prep stage to apply any patches and configure the
kernel exactly as it is in the Fedora distribution.

rpmbuild -bp --target=ARCH ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel-XXX.spec

[... modify configuration inside ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/ ...]

8. Build The Kernel
The -bb option to rpmbuild will build the kernel binary package
preforming every rpm build stage along the way but with the new
configuration.

rpmbuild -bb --target=ARCH ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel-XXX.spec
==========

I'd always thought that rpmbuild -bb started the whole build process
right from scratch, and that there was no point in doing -bp before
-bb because it would all get overwritten. Is this wrong? The rpmbuild
man page says:

 -bb    Build a binary package  (after  doing  the  %prep,  %build,  and
              %install stages).

... which has always implied to me that it actually *does* the %prep
stage itself when you call rpmbuild -bb. I'd be happy to be proved
wrong.

MEF

--
__ Mary Ellen Foster __ http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/ __
"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,