SMB overactive?

William John Murray w.murray at rl.ac.uk
Wed May 25 16:37:17 UTC 2005

  Help!
   I just realised that SMB has become overactive in my FC4T3 box. From
ethereal, I see it seems to pass messages like this to every other
machine on
our intranet:

Trans2 Request, QUERY_FS_INFO, Query FS Size Info
Trans2 Response, QUERY_FS_INFO

etc. It just keeps on doing it, round and round, ~10-20 machines  a second.
I don't know when this started, but it keeps the little blue 'Network'
light on
my eth0 at about 20% permanently and cannot be good for the network.

  Which process will be responsible? I do have 4 remote cifs mounts -
should I remove them?

 Thank you,
       Bill