FC4_64 : Grub Is not Working on Dual boot

Don Casey dcasey at the-caseys.com
Sun May 29 04:07:52 UTC 2005

> On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 09:36:40PM +0300, blackman at pharm.uoa.gr wrote:
> > installing Fc4_64 on hda2 and having Windows on hda1 grub on first boot
> comes to
> > minimal bash like command line without the expected options (fedora,
> other).
> > Please since this is the rc3 and there will be no other rc until the
> final
> > version on june 6 take the time to test this bug!!!
> > also seems that grub is not installing on MBR even when booting on
> rescue mode
> > and try to
> > grub-install /dev/hda
> >
> I am not sure what you are saying is happening. In FC4test3 (as well
> as FC3) upon booting only the default boot choice is shown on the
> screen and you are given 3 seconds or so to allow it to boot that
> operating system of hit return to see the full range of operating
> system choices. Is that what you are seeing?
>
> And as I have said many times on the list grub-install is a kludge
> because it often does not install the boot block correctly.
> Boot rescue mode, chroot to root file system and install grub by the
> following sequence of commands.
> grub
> grub> root (hd0,2)  <-- the 2 depends on where you linux is.
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> quit
>
> That always works for me when grub-install does not.

I don't think that this would be something that is only particular to the
64bit kernel. Today I installed from scratch on one machine with a single
80GB SATA drive:

W*ndows XP Profesional
Fedora Core3
Fedora Core4t3

Drive is now partitioned as follows:

/dev/sda1			NTFS		20480
/dev/sda2	/boot		ext3		102
/dev/sda3	VolGroup00	LVM PV	20379
 VolGroup00
	LogVol00	/	ext3		18368
	LogVol01		swap		1952
/dev/sda4			Extended	35354
/dev/sda5	/boot		ext3		102
/dev/sda6	VolGroup01	LVM PV	20379
 VolGroup01
	LogVol00	/	ext3		18368
	LogVol01		swap		1952

Remaining 15GB are unclaimed at the moment(will use for other distros). My
/etc/grub.conf is as follows:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,4)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core4 (2.6.11-1.1286_FC4smp)
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1286_FC4smp ro
root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1286_FC4smp.img
title Fedora Core4-up (2.6.11-1.1286_FC4)
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1286_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1286_FC4.img
title Fedora Core3 (2.6.9-1.667smp)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667smp.img
title Fedora Core3-up (2.6.9-1.667)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
title Windows XP Profesional
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

 System boots just fine to every O/S, the only issue I have is who is
controlling Grub? From the way it looks I will have to manually modify
grub.conf with each kernel update on both releases, as I had to do this
after installing FC4t3(luckily I copied FC3's grub.conf to floppy before
installing FC4t3). If anyone has a better answer please let me know.

Thanx,
Don