Openoffice segmentation fault, FC4 (x86_64)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun May 29 11:06:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 10:32 +0200, Harry Jensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new in the area of Fedora, but anyway, tried to install the test
> release, just because of my SATA hdd.
>
> I've installed OpenOffice, and it just worked out of the box, but for
> some reason I cannot start it now, and gets the following:
>
> /usr/lib/openoffice.org1.9.104/program/soffice: line 247:  2912
> Segmentation fault      "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"
>
> ...I have installed plenty of programs after OpenOffice, so there is
> probably one of those generating this fault, but which one is the wise
> question ;-)

Unless you installed something that modified OO.o or one of its
dependencies, it should not be related to something you installed.

This is a test release and sometimes things break in a test release.
I don't use OO.o - so I don't know what your problem might be - but try
verifying the OO.o rpm's and make sure your OO.o isn't damaged.

When you installed other software, did you install from source or did
you use a package repository? Ideally, you should only install software
via rpm (prevents conflicts) and ideally, you should only install via
rpm from a package repository designed to work with your release of
Fedora - IE Fedora Extras and rpm.livna.org

Some repositories don't mix well and can cause problems, others are not
publishing packages designed to work with rawhide, etc.

Check bugzilla - if your OO.o problem is a Fedora problem, it is popular
enough of an app that there is possibly a bugzilla about your issue,
perhaps even with a workaround.