nvidia and openGL

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Tue May 31 17:45:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 19:30 +0200, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I experience a crash of X server when I try to run something using openGL.
> I'm not sure if my approach is correct.
> I'm using nvidia drivers and I removed the Mesa packages from my system.

You shouldn't remove the Mesa stuff from your system.
You should also make sure you're using the livna nvidia packages - stay
away from the nvidia binary modules, since they will not install
properly on a Fedora system.

> After this there still seem to be some links left wich where installed by
>  xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-31
>
> /usr/lib64/libGL.so
> /usr/lib/libGL.so
>
> The point where they link to doesn't exist anymore so I linked the first one
> the nvidia provided one. There is however no 32bit one supplied with my
> driver.
> What do I need to do with the link /usr/lib/libGL.so ?

This link is only needed to compile stuff against the GL library.
The fact that it's not linked to anything is a bug, IMHO, but this isn't
going to get fixed until X is modularized (I've asked). It should be
linked to your Mesa libGL (which you should install back).
However, that doesn't explain why your system crashes...

Do /sbin/ldconfig -p|grep libGL ...