nvidia and openGL

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Tue May 31 23:10:41 UTC 2005

> OK, I admit that you need to remove the Nvidia binaries before you
> install the mesa rpms , and then install the nvidia again. This is
> because the two packages have libraries with the same name. What is not
> clear to me is how if the nvidia rpms put the libraries in a differnt
> location how are they found when they are needed?

They are found, because the include line in ld.so.conf is
parsed before the X11R6 line, leading to the nvidia path taking
precedence (the nvidia path is /usr/lib/nvidia, added
by /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nvidia)

What happens is, you are compiling against the Mesa libGL and headers,
which, according to Jeff are more standards compliant than the
nvidia one, and then you are linking against the nvidia library later.

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University