Why are you using rawhide (Re: Broken deps in rawhide reports; Participate in improving docs)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Nov 5 21:01:17 UTC 2005

> * Where did you learn about the existance of rawhide from?

Red Hat list back in the days

> * How did you get started on using it?

I almost always do a yum update from

> * What motivates use to use it?

I only start running rawhide when it gets close to test releases.
The reason I run it is to make sure software I will need works in the
next version of core - usually software that doesn't ship with
core/extras.

That way I can migrate to the next distro release on my main machines
ASAP.

In the current rawhide, I'm running mainly to try to take advantage of
the new conf.d feature of fontconfig, so that I can make rpm's for
commercial fonts I've purchased that take care of their own
configuration files (when additional configuration is needed).

Thus - playing with features that are likely to be available in next
release is also a reason to run rawhide.

And of course, there are bug reports - I usually don't file those until
the first test release is out though, as rawhide being somewhat broken
is an expectation. If it is something nasty (like a kernel panic or
previously supported hardware not working), then I will file a bug
report before test releases.