Fontconfig troubles...

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Nov 7 06:40:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 01:47 -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> Also, that reminds me once again how hard it is to recover from
> rawhide.  Why can't old versions of rpms be kept on the download server,
> to aid users in the case of a critical failure?

Space is a huge concern.  Also, rawhide isn't a release.  If it breaks,
you get to keep all the pieces.  We'd rather developers and engineers
work on getting the actual releases in good shape, rather than worry
about how rawhide may break somebody's box this week and how it could be
made easier to recover from.

The honest truth is that rawhide has no guarantees.  It can and will
break.  You test at your own risk, however the project is better because
people use the packages and pre-report problems before they mitigate
themselves in an actual test release that has some hope of not breaking
(too badly).

Was I helpful?  Let others know: