Updating to Rawhide

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 16:29:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 21:05 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 08:31:09PM -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 16:59 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > > On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 05:04:52AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > > > >
> > [snip]

> > > These are pretty critical to me. :-)
> >
> > Are you running into problems where Evince isn't good enough as a
> > replacement for these?
>
> Eh?  This was a joke. Right?  Did you ever tried to open .dvi file
> in evince? It just tells me that it cannot do that.

I was serious, but I was misremembering something:  Evince can handle
dvi files, but it's an experimental feature, and IIRC Fedora's Evince
packages are configured to disable it.  So yes, I have opened dvi files
using evince, but I had to rebuild it myself to do so.

Sorry about my confusion on this; my last serious hacking with dvi was
over 10 years ago.

> And as far as xpdf goes then as long as evince does not have
> equivalents for '-fullscreen', '-remote', '-reload', '-z', '-raise'
> and few other things (and equivalents for /usr/bin/pdffonts,
> /usr/bin/pdfimages, /usr/bin/pdfinfo, /usr/bin/pdftoppm,
> /usr/bin/pdftops or /usr/bin/pdftotext) then it is not even coming
> close.  Who actually knows what capabilities are as documentation
> consist of /usr/share/doc/evince-0.4.0/ChangeLog and
> /usr/share/doc/evince-0.4.0/README which are not very telling.

Evince's Fullscreen mode is F11
You can trigger reloads with Ctrl-R.  Doing it automatically by tracking
file update notifications has been discussed on the upstream development
list.
I don't know about the rest of them off the top of my head.

Much of the underlying xpdf functionality is now handled by the
"poppler" package, but so far that project has chosen not to implement
the small command-line tools.  If you think poppler or evince ought to
be doing this, you could file a bug report there.

> > Please file bug reports upstream
>
> I tried to bother with evince in the past.  I was not very succesful

Thanks for trying out the development packages, let's hope the deps are fixed soon.

Good bug reports are vital in helping developers know what the problem
areas are.

Dave