firefox-1.5-0.5.0.rc1

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Nov 19 04:45:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 21:57 -0600, m_epling wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 21:46 -0600, Michael Favia wrote:
> > m_epling wrote:
> > > i logged in as root   lauched the browser and it did it
> > How many parts of that statement make me weak in the knees.
> > -mf

>   cant be afraid  its how ya learn  . i broke more Linux installations
> than i care to think about . i use to just reformat and reinstall .
> then i started fixing what was broke . researching and fixing until i
> was never afraid of root or anything but root will allow the browser
> to update and it will be avalible to all the users that log on . don't
> be afraid of your Linux   ...take command and be extraordinary

The only Linux install I have ever had that I needed to re-install for
was the one where I forgot the root password, and didn't know about
booting into single or booting off of CD to edit /etc/shadow etc.

Running a web browser as root and then using the update button of the
browser to download code that then gets installed and executed as root
on your machine isn't learning.

Not wanting to do that isn't fear, its common sense.

You want to make a newer version of firefox available for your users?
Grab the src.rpm for current version, and edit it to build the new
version to install an rpm.

How will your users like it if the auto updater has a bug that you just
ran as root, trashing your filesystem causing them to have loss of
service while you figure out what went wrong?