Availability FC5 - Test 1

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Nov 22 15:14:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 10:01 -0500, Will H. Backman wrote:
> [...]

	Flip side to that was the MESS with pump (the old dhcp client
software).  IIRC, there were no less that three totally different major
versions with totally different parameters and totally different bugs
(and none of them worked properly with every dhcp server).  Later, (7.x)
they chanced to dhcpcd and (I believe) now to dhclient.  I would MUCH
rather have different names than two radically different applications
(even if they DID come from the same source tree) with the same name.
Almost the same thing occurred with stunnel where a lot of parameters
got dropped and you totally had to change the configuration paradigm
from one major version to the next.

> Within Redhat I started with control-panel and glint.
> I have progressed through gnome-rpm, gnome-linuxconf, and Update Agent.
> Now I have yum and the system-config-* tools.
> Am I now looking at something called Pup?

> I think the tools are getting better all the time, but I think the name
> changes hurt the manageability.

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/