2.6.14-1.1696_FC5 installs but kernel crashes on boot

Andy Burns fedora-test at adslpipe.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 02:11:31 UTC 2005

Andy Burns wrote:

> I get another panic which I think is
> related to the saa1734 driver, time to whip the DVB-T cards out

yes, without those cards and with "mem=nopentium" 1696_FC5 boots into X,
although I do have the offset pixels and incorrect colour planes that
I've seen reported by others using the vesa driver.

I then did a proper install of the 1707_FC5 test kernel (which went
cleanly) and that does boot properly too (only when using "nowprodata")
and obviously some extra xorg fixes have made it into that version as
the vesa driver behaves better too.

I suppose the root cause of the write protect readonly data needs to be
identified, of course I'd be happy to test any fixes of that.

I did notice several ATAPI resets causing a bit of delay during booting,
is that a side-effect of the kernel swapping between IDE and AHCI mode?
Is there any actual benefit to using AHCI?

I'll try the DVB-T cards back in again (they are the eventual *point* of
this box) and log any bugs with the SAA driver separately, also it looks
like the xorg ati driver doesn't like my PCIe card, so I'll look into
that too.

Thanks again,
Andy.