dim/unreadable display on FC5test1 and Dell Inspiron 1100

Cliff Nadler cnadler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 20:32:27 UTC 2005

I finally got FC5test1 installed on my Dell Inspiron 1100 last night, but I
had to use and external monitor to get through the installation. The problem
was that the display was set to an unreadable brightness, and nothing I did
could change that (except for the external monitor).

The installation program would not recognize the 1100's LCD panel. When I
first rebooted after the install, it handled the 800x600 resolution fine,
but after firstboot ran, and I configured the Dell 1024x768 LCD for the
monitor, I got the unreadable dim display again.

This machine ran fine with FC4, and I installed over the FC4 image
(reformatting, of course). BIOS is A31, so it looks like I'm not hitting the
BIOS issues I've seen reported on the web.

Any ideas? I'll probably change it back to a generic 1024x768 LCD if I can
get the external monitor working with it again.

Thanks,

Cliff