Up2date replacement

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 28 06:47:00 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:

> what we had considered was using the fastest mirror plugin to sort the
> list of mirrors. Then store that sorted list in the repo cache
> directory. Then redownload the list and re-sort/store it every 8 hours
> or so, same as how we're storing the repomd.xml data, now.

I for one am not sure that "fastest mirror" is the one I want to use.

There are financial benefits to many people in Australia using their
local cache peering arrangements.

When it comes to dialup, I can't imagine I'd notice a difference between
  a site on Westnet (my IAP) or one in Helsinki.

We need to be given the chance to choose a mirror, and to know where
that mirror is: the name www.au.fedoracore.org doesn't tell me whether
it's in QLD, WA, or even off-shore in TAS.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait