Up2date replacement

Don Springall don_springall at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 28 19:00:23 UTC 2005

>From: Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>
>To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Up2date replacement
>Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:24:24 -0800
>
>On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 10:19 -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
> >
> > It would be nice if there were some repository config manager, which
> > pulled a master "authoritative" list from somewhere and let you select
> > repositories via ncurses/x11/etc. The directory would list the
>repository
> > name, its intended function, its geographic location and link speeds,
> > etc. to make sorting out the whole mess a bit easier.
> >
> > I have thought about writing such a beast and calling it "yuk" to
> > complement "yum" :)
>
>Such a tool, or such information that the tool uses to get the list of
>repos must live outside the scope of Fedora.  Fedora tools/content
>cannot link to, point to, or otherwise enable the use of repositories
>that may include illegal or ForbiddenItems content.
>
>--
>Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)

Anyone can add repo's to yum now in /etc/yum.repos.d. A lot of people do
this to add missing codecs from alternate repositories to play things like
MP3 files.  Last I heard Fedora was supporting Yum. They just don't want to
be party to providing links to sites that may have legal entanglements
themselves. They leave that up to the users of yum. How would a tool like
this be any different ?