Up2date replacement

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Nov 28 19:22:52 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 12:00 -0700, Don Springall wrote:
> Anyone can add repo's to yum now in /etc/yum.repos.d. A lot of people do
> this to add missing codecs from alternate repositories to play things like
> MP3 files.  Last I heard Fedora was supporting Yum. They just don't want to
> be party to providing links to sites that may have legal entanglements
> themselves. They leave that up to the users of yum. How would a tool like
> this be any different ?

Because you won't find links to these repositories on anything included
in Fedora, nor on any website hosted by Red Hat.  We obviously can't
stop people from using these, nor would we want to.  However legally we
can't point to them.  Nor could we provide a tool that has pre-existing
knowledge of these repositories, nor provide metata that knows about
these repositories.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)