Up2date replacement

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 28 22:46:14 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 10:19 -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
>
>>It would be nice if there were some repository config manager, which
>>pulled a master "authoritative" list from somewhere and let you select
>>repositories via ncurses/x11/etc. The directory would list the repository
>>name, its intended function, its geographic location and link speeds,
>>etc. to make sorting out the whole mess a bit easier.
>>
>>I have thought about writing such a beast and calling it "yuk" to
>>complement "yum" :)
>

> Such a tool, or such information that the tool uses to get the list of
> repos must live outside the scope of Fedora.  Fedora tools/content
> cannot link to, point to, or otherwise enable the use of repositories
> that may include illegal or ForbiddenItems content.

No Fedora mirror would have such content: if it did, it would clearly
not be a Fedora mirror.

Further, only the Fedora ftp master knows who mirrors the site; I am
assumiming that if I want to run an official mirror then I can have
special access.

The master list should, I think, be packaged as a Fedora Core package:
when it changes, users get an updated list via their usual channel.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait