4k Stacks

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 28 23:53:34 UTC 2005

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> I don't see any DLINK,
>>LInksys, Netgear or Belkin wireless drivers listed
>

> in linux the drivers support a chipset. you're mentioning marketing
> names of cards. These cards contain one of the chipsets that exist
>
> * intel  (driver complete and integrated)
> * ACX or something (driver gpl and working but not yet integrated)

That's TI. TI does not help; when I looked around a while ago (maybe a
year), the driver's discription was pretty unpromising.

> * broadcom (driver gpl but very much embrionic)
Like TI.
> * "madwifi" cards, driver still in progress

I think the chipset vendor helps, but the HAL is always going to be
binary-only. My builtin-wireless (Acer Aspire 3500 series) works well in
Ubuntu and SUSE.

Consider the HAL as equivalent to the firmware in other brands.

prism54 also is good, but a little hard to find. The only ones I know
that work have external firmware whose filename ends in .ARM. Later ones
  have firmware imbedded in the Windows driver, and while the firmware
can be extracted with a magic incantation of dd, the cards didn't
actually work when I was investigating. See prism54.org. It's been quiet
there since the release of the drivers to the 2.6.8 kernel, but there
seems to have been some action there recently.

> broadcom is very common..
>
> usually lspci will tell you what kind of chip is in there; the website
> of the various drivers have lists of marketing names as well for their
> chips

or if it's a pc card, see the output from dmesg after inserting the card.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait