x86-64 rawhide update obnoxiousness

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Oct 11 12:52:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 08:42 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Monday 10 October 2005 13:15, Steve Grubb wrote:
> >  I get hung up on kde and can't get anything related to
> > install. I had been thinking it was a packaging problem that was going to
> > work itself out, but it may be a bug in something.
>
> Today's rawhide finally let kde update. Now, if I type in "yum update gcc" I
> get this:
>
> Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/share/java/libgcj-4.0.2.jar from install
> of libgcj-4.0.2-3 conflicts with file from package libgcj-4.0.2-1
>   file /usr/share/man/man1/fastjar.1.gz from install of libgcj-4.0.2-3
> conflicts with file from package libgcj-4.0.2-1
>   file /usr/share/man/man1/gcj-dbtool.1.gz from install of libgcj-4.0.2-3
> conflicts with file from package libgcj-4.0.2-1
> <snip>
>
> If I do "yum update libgcj*" and then it all gets updated correctly. It also
> does not help that you cannot tell if the conflict is between x86_64 and i386
> packages. Biarch systems should show the arch in their messages.

I think I know what's happening.

You're updating gcc - which is pulling in a new libgcj for x86_64,
probably, but not a new one for i386 - so when it goes to update only
one of the archs it's complaining. Maybe I should add a routine where:
 if we're on a biarch machine and we're updating a package for one arch,
check for the biarch package and see if it can be updated too.

-sv