Ejecting a drive from a laptop bay...

I have an IBM T42p. I am running the latest rawhide system and I wanted to try ejecting the drive from the bay. I found some mentiond of /proc/acpi/ibm/bay which reports the bay status and accepts the command "eject". However, when I send 'echo "eject" > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay' the system freezes. I googled around and I can't find any documentation on how one might eject a drive bay that isn't for pre-2.6 kernels. Can someone give me some pointers on what I might be doing wrong if anything?

Thanks

--
.   __o    Brian "la lumaca"
 _`\<,_