Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.0-1.FC4.1

Jason Vas Dias jvdias at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 18:43:50 UTC 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 14:12, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 11:23:30AM -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> > Dan Williams wrote:
> >
> > > For the first one, does your DHCP server not return a domain name to
> > > your machine?

No code should rely on a DHCP server supplying a domain-name / domain-name-servers option .

Only if the ISP blocks access to the root nameservers, should they provide domain-name-servers.
Only if the DHCP ip-address provided is actually registered in a public DNS domain should they
provide the domain-name option.

BIND named running as a caching-nameserver resolver will contact the root nameservers
and does not require any forwarders unless they cannot be reached.

Only if named is not being used, and the glibc resolver must be configured, are nameservers
actually required to be in resolv.conf - but this should never be the case with NetworkManager.
One could look up the root nameserver list from 'a.root-servers.net' (198.41.0.4) and
append the list of addresses to resolv.conf .

I suggest also that NetworkManager should use the 'subscribe' interface or use the 'list'
command and 'list all options for interface: ../eth0 get' dhcdbd facilities to avoid
requesting nonexistent options / options from unconfigured interfaces.