kernel and mobo question

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Oct 25 18:01:09 UTC 2005

I'm getting ready to put together an amd64 box.

The board I want to use is ASRock 939Dual-SATA2

My understanding is that the chipset should be supported by any 2.6.11
kernel (at least for PATA which is what I'll use), but the onboard
ethernet didn't get into the main kernel until October 5th or somewhere
around there (according to a gentoo user with the board).

I'd like to install FC5test1 on it when I put it together. I'm not going
to bother with FC4 - I won't make it my main box until FC5 final is
released.

Worst case scenario - I'll throw a PCI nic in there, but it *would be
nice* if I didn't need to. I described as "uli-network" in the web forum
where the gentoo user reported on its success, and when the main kernel
supported the network driver.

The newegg description for the chipset is "Realtek 8201 PHY"

Is that driver enabled in the rawhide kernel?