Re: su gone insane?

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 00:33 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried to go to su to install the nvidia driver module and keep
> getting told that the operation is not permitted, permission denied.
>
> What's happened?
>
> I'm using the 1542_FC5 kernel.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

i'm on 2.6.13-1.1530_FC5 and fully updated rawhide.  i ran today's
updates a while back and i never closed my root terminal (i tend to
leave one open all day), but when i tried to su in another terminal:
[endymion localhost ~]$ su
Password:
su: incorrect password
[endymion localhost ~]$ su root
Password:
su: incorrect password

i'm *sure* i'm putting in the correct password, i even type it out and
middle-click paste it in (which works in case you've never tried it).  i
tried passwd'ing at the root terminal i had open and i updated the
password and i *still* get the same thing.

of note, i am not using selinux.