development (rawhide) testing

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sat Sep 17 18:25:20 UTC 2005

Gene C. wrote:

>OK, I need some help/advice here.
>
>For the last week or two I have been trying to get a copy of development
>installed with no real success.
>
>I downloaded the development tree yesterday (i386/images/* and
>i386/Fedora/base/* and i386/Fedora/RPMS/*).
>
>My first attempt was to unstall as a vmware guest BUT anaconda died.
>
>My second attempt was to install on an Opteron BUT the skge driver is not
>loaded.
>
>My third attempt was to install on a new Athlon64 X2 4400+ BUT anaconda died
>again.
>
>Back to the drawing boards ... I have FC4 installed in all of these
>environments and it works (both i386 and x86_64 on the real hardware).
>
>So, I did a "small but meaningful" install of FC4 under vmware ... works fine.
>I then used yum to update/upgrade to development.  This worked but a bit less
>than more (the development kernel gets a panic but the "current FC4 kernel
>works more or less).  After having updated a lot of stuff the system is
>acting a bit strange.

I general I do recommend doing a  minimal installation of the current
version of then doing  a yum update after enabling the development
repository. A direct net installation of rawhide can fail either due to
a network usage or do to a breakage in the development tree which is not
very unusual.

>1. Are others having problems installing development?

There has been recent breakages and there has been a few reports to this
and the development list on this but you just seem to have chosen a
particularly bad time which is very random

>2.  Is there a "good point" or "good time" to try installing?  I was hoping to
>try some of the SELinux/MCS stuff before November.

Not really but daily rawhide users in the list will probably have a good
idea on the current status. There was a recent joke about setting up a
web page with different lights for the current status. Maybe something
like that would useful but dropping in a request on the status to the
list might before doing a rawhide installation might work for you.  In
the last day's build or so MCS with targeted policy did start working
again for many people

>Any help appreciated.
>
>Gene

Use a dedicated system. At many instances rawhide does work but expect
breakages to happen. Keep trying. Use the list archives and bugzilla
searches.  Give it a few days for the bugs you see and report them if
they still arent fixed or reported already. Discuss things here and be a
happy tester and rawhide might just be gracious with you!

regards
Rahul