system-config-mouse

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Sep 20 16:34:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 11:40:42AM -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 13:14 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > Fairly recently system-config-mouse vanished from development
> > packages.  Was this a deliberate decision and if yes then what I am
> > supposed to use now to configure mouse properties?
>
> Yes it was a deliberate decision to remove it- ....

Thanks for the explanation.

> What sort of configuration do you require?

That turned out to be a misunderstanding on my part.  I was under a
false impression that what you see on menus under "Preferences->Mouse"
is actually supplied by system-config-mouse and this is clearly not
the case.  How things are put together is too well hidden. :-)

OTOH nothing seems to supply "Obsoletes:" for system-config-mouse
so if it was installed on the system previously it will linger until
somebody will catch up and remove it explicitely.  Maybe there
should be a fake package with a sole role of providing "obsoletes"
for things which otherwise do not fit naturally somewhere else?
'system-config-mouse' seems to be harmless so far but from time to
time somebody has update problems because they have still installed
something long gone.  Still such fake package if too aggresive could
be PITA as well; so without a real conflict things should not be
added to such list.  Yes, I know that yum can "list obsoletes" and
maybe that is good enough.  Just thinking aloud ....

   Thanks again,
   Michal