modprobe -r crashing

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Sep 25 19:30:53 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 03:46:05PM +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> I'm trying to remove a module (I need to load sg and then reload aic7xxx
> to get my scanner running).
>
> When I issue /sbin/modprobe -r aic7xxx the task window just sits there.
> The module is not removed

There are various modules which are not removable.  Some are
actually designed that way (use count never goes down to zero,
regardless of what you will do).  Of course of 'modprobe -r ...' is
actually crashing it is a bug but this action is not guaranteed to
work.

Your best bet seems to make sure that sg is inserted before aic7xxx
is loaded.  You can do that in /etc/modprobe.conf by something like
that

install aic7xxx /sbin/modprobe sg && /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install aic7xxx

   Michal